User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: PHP is turning into Java

PHP is turning into Java
  Hertzsprung (12:10 1/10/2003)
  Phlamethrower (12:15 1/10/2003)
    johnstlr (15:41 1/10/2003)
  Paolo Zaino (15:58 1/10/2003)

James Shaw Message #46825, posted by Hertzsprung at 12:10, 1/10/2003
Hertzsprung
Ghost-like

I'll have to download PHP5 and have a look. Exception handling has got to be a Good Thing, but I'm not sure if access specifiers are in the spirit of PHP.

Also, why does PHP not produce byte-code, or is that changing in Zend 2?

Interesting stuff....
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #46828, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:15, 1/10/2003, in reply to message #46825
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Also, why does PHP not produce byte-code, or is that changing in Zend 2?
Presumably because run-time compilation/interpretation/whatever is simpler to use than having to recompile code all the time, PHP can be integrated with HTML (and practically any other file format), etc. I guess that having a cache of precompiled files could be useful though (which may be something you can do at the moment, I dunno).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #46838, posted by johnstlr at 15:41, 1/10/2003, in reply to message #46828
http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/

....caches compiled php. I suspect there are many more such solutions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paolo Fabio Zaino Message #46840, posted by Paolo Zaino at 15:58, 1/10/2003, in reply to message #46825
PHP, as anyother scripting INTERPRET, is not a virtual machine...

A virtaul machine "emulate" a standard computer, provided by a "standard" processor, a "standard" operating system etc... when you make a "compile" operation on a virtual machine you transalate the hi-level code script into a bytecoded file that can be executed by the virtual - processor (it is similar to an assembly but usually it have a mid-level datastructure).

A scripting interpret just have:
1) global variables and local variables cache
2) functions and procedures cache
3) a language parser that is used for structure the scripting in a manageable way
4) a runtime executor of what the parser put in the right caches

Usualy an interpret just translate istructions words in a tokenized model for find them faster (basicaly you can imagine a token like a recordset key in a database and its parameters just like the recordset). The runtime will check the the "key" and will execute the corresponding internal routine passing to it the parameters joined to the token.

Of course it is possible to change its own nature makeing the scripting interpret work as a virtual machine (like ASP.NET that is completely rebuild for work on the M.S. CLI .NET) that is just an architectural decision and, not always, is the better way for have good software performances.

I think that a more better way is to save the pre-parsed script file in a cache (like old ASP does, and like my ZCLI CLI will do) and there some free products that do that for increase PHP performances.

[Edited by Paolo Zaino at 16:02, 1/10/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: PHP is turning into Java