User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- South West Show Report
- First Impressions of RComp's TiMachine
- Wakefield 2003 - the preview
- New RISC OS, new markets.
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed
- South-West Show 2024 talks
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures
- Timerun from Amcog games released
- RISCOSbits updates FAST ROM
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:10 reviewed
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: New RISC OS !FamTree application reviewed

New RISC OS !FamTree application reviewed

Posted by Mark Stephens on 07:55, 9/2/2018 | ,

RISC OS stalwart Chris Hall has turned his attention to a new product which will be released at the South-West Show this year. He was kind enough to send us a pre-release copy for review (version 1.3), so here is a taster of what you will be able to buy at the South-West Show.

!FamTree is a program for creating graphical family trees, showing all your ancestors.

The software works on the basis that family trees are rather like Directory structures, with parents and children. You create a simple set of directories with text descriptions and the software turns thins into a proper family tree which can be exported as draw file. The software takes care of figuring out all the layout.

If you want to use the software with existing data rather than create a tree from scratch, there is a feature to import data from GEDCOM data files. There are currently some (generous) limits to filesize on this. So it only allows the last 20 generations and 250 family trees. Probably need to wait for release 2 if you want to do entire tribes or nations.....

The software is nicely designed as a RISC OS application and follows all the conventions, so you should have no trouble picking it up quickly.

A minor complaint I did have was that firing up on my Titanium (running the latest OS), gave me the message that I needed MakeDraw 2.53 or later but I could not see any advice on how to fix. This might be off-putting to non-technical users. Otherwise the application feels really nicely polished and finished off.

There is a ReadMe file telling you haw to get started, a comprehensive StrongHelp manual which includes lots of advice on running and customising both the software and the output. The main program itself is a 50,000 line basic application. Chris has even registered the filetype with ROOL. Chris has some ideas for version 2 and we look forward to see how he improves on an excellent first release.

Chris is selling the software at 15 pounds. If you have an interest in family trees, it produces some polished output, is really nice to use and I think it will quickly repay the cost in time saved. And if you are at the Show, Chris would welcome your input and ideas.

Website and more details.

New RISC OS !FamTree application reviewed
  svrsig (09:48 13/2/2018)

Chris Hall Message #124249, posted by svrsig at 09:48, 13/2/2018
Now available from !Store
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: New RISC OS !FamTree application reviewed