User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Aemulor BeagleBoard

Aemulor BeagleBoard
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Señor Nueces Message #121162, posted by gaula92 at 23:30, 5/10/2012, in reply to message #121161
The game runs perfectly with Aemulor on Pandaboard ES... I hope other games ran that well, it even has music/effects.

My advice is to disable alignment exceptions and define the right screen mode in the monitor definition file you're using.
My pandaboard ES is not running Risc OS anymore (using Linux instead until I get some help to make other games work), but I can send you my video modes file if you want. Hamsters DOES work, that's for sure.

What I don't understand is why no one got interested in testing games in the Pandaboard as I did: there are GREAT games to enjoy and show in Risc OS that are potentially compatible with Aemulor, but I didn't get a word about my testing results. So I got bored of souch an quiet community. Something like this would have a LOT of interest in the Amiga scene. And i'ts a pitty, because the best game to introduce an aternative OS to potential users is showing them how well it runs 80's and 90's games on today's hardware with the same smoothness they had back in the day (ie, no tearing etc).

[Edited by gaula92 at 00:37, 6/10/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121168, posted by trevj at 11:29, 9/10/2012, in reply to message #121162
What I don't understand is why no one got interested in testing games in the Pandaboard as I did: there are GREAT games to enjoy and show in Risc OS that are potentially compatible with Aemulor, but I didn't get a word about my testing results. So I got bored of souch an quiet community.
It's not always so quiet. I guess a lot of people are otherwise occupied with things (including those related to RISC OS).
Something like this would have a LOT of interest in the Amiga scene. And i'ts a pitty, because the best game to introduce an aternative OS to potential users is showing them how well it runs 80's and 90's games on today's hardware with the same smoothness they had back in the day (ie, no tearing etc).
I don't suppose you have a blog (and enough spare time to contribute to it) on which you could summarise this, do you? Or perhaps your findings could form the basis of a proposed News piece here on TIB.

I know that's not much help, but thought it warranted some sort of reply (even though I've not caught up on the rest of the thread).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Soulsby Message #121228, posted by krsoulsby at 13:54, 14/10/2012, in reply to message #121161
I have got the initial part of Hamsters working up to the menu (buy tweeking the modes in the MDF)

However when I tryu to start the game proper my monitor complains about the screen mode again.

Is the game running in the Mode120 whose module can be found in the app directory. If this is the case is it possible to change the mode settings or are they fixed and therfore it is not possible to play hamsters on my current monitor.

FYI - I have sucessfully got TEK 1608 and Ankh working under Aemulor
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #121425, posted by adrianl at 23:37, 8/11/2012, in reply to message #120673
I don't want to be secretive any more, it helps no-one. There should be no stigma attached to mental illness; Stephen Fry - bless him - has done a lot to help there. I suffer from depression, and it has been present to a greater or lesser degree throughout my adult life. I'm sorry I've been unable to achieve as much w.r.t. the RO-on-RPi port or Aemulor ports as I might otherwise have done. The past couple of years have been tough. Here's looking forward to a better time.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Señor Nueces Message #121426, posted by gaula92 at 01:14, 9/11/2012, in reply to message #121425
@Adrian Lees: You are no "ill"! How could a man with the abilities you've already proven be called ill? No way! You may have problems, tribulations or difficulties: but your mind is VERY fine, and your works speaks for itself.

As for Aemulor, I'm only a recent Risc OS user and it's the single piece of software I've enjoyed the most on it so far, allowing me to feel some games I would otherwise have to emulate indirectly or see on youtube videos...but let me tell you something: screw Aemulor! Just get better: dedicate Aemulor time to run, swim or be with friends. Dedicate that time to camp in the forest or climb mountains, read a good fantasy book or watch good movies from the 80s: whatever makes you feel better, Adrian. What's a piece of software compared to your life?
I'd help you if I could: I'm from Spain and I don't have much money, but if you need a break, don't hesitate to tell me and I'll be here to take you to really good places! There's a person behind the programs you do, and it's the person what matters!

(Sorry if I sounded silly...I don't mean to offend you or anybody here)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #121427, posted by adrianl at 04:36, 9/11/2012, in reply to message #121426
Thank you. I spend a lot of time swimming, since that helps. Exercise has been a good friend to me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121428, posted by trevj at 11:52, 9/11/2012, in reply to message #121425
Really sorry to learn that, Adrian. I think it's important for others to recognise that it's a non-physical illness - and, as with many illnesses, you should be able to make a full recovery, perhaps if you can change a few things in your life. Sure, everyone feels bad/awful from time to time, but the recurring long-term stuff is something different. I expect there's a plethora of both good and bad "practitioners" who are keen to try to help in the ways they think best - although perhaps I'm cynically incorrect there, in which case I apologise. I both donate and shop at Mind from time to time, not that it's much consolation.

I know that I've been guilty myself of a bit of pestering for news from you, but there's certainly no ill-feeling about you not responding as quickly as you you'd probably have liked to. The offer of a guided tour of a bit of Spain sounds like something seriously worth considering! And it's good to know that exercise is helping.

Whatever the main causes of the depression are (if they're easily identifiable) then I guess you're trying to reduce/eliminate them if possible (entirely, or in part if they conversely give you some amount of enjoyment). If that results in no further Aemulor and/or RISC OS stuff, then so be it. Nothing's that important in comparison with working to improve your situation! (No, not even the source code - take it to your grave if you have to.)

Please feel free to drop me an email if you need to get something off your chest, or you think it'd help in any other way. All the best, and I hope you're able to make the most of the weekend.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #121466, posted by adrianl at 12:31, 14/11/2012, in reply to message #121428
It's actually a very physical illness; there should be less distinction between the mental and the physical...if the limbic system and neurotransmitters are not working 'correctly', the mind cannot either. I have no ill feeling towards anyone in the RISC OS world, and hope one day to make a larger contribution once again.

Aemulor was written when I had left permanent employment, and was free to experiment, but in latter years it's become increasingly hard to find the enthusiasm to do further engineering work outside of the job which - frankly - I'm struggling to perform at the moment. I have for a long time been completing both software and hardware roles, although employed as a software engineer. A psychiatrist whose book I've read says that it can result from pushing oneself too hard. In my case, I'm unsure; it seems I've always had the disposition, and certainly had the low moods and the dependency upon exercise when writing Aemulor....the exercise has other benefits smile

I don't mind talking about it now, and whilst I know it probably still makes some uncomfortable, I like you guys and TIB...nothing has changed, really. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stephen Scott Message #121468, posted by sa_scott at 14:11, 14/11/2012, in reply to message #121466
Thanks for sharing this Adrian. I was wondering recently about the possibility of Aemulor being available for the Raspberry Pi, and when it would be out.

However, health must always come first. The more we can open up about such matters, the more the stigma can fall away. IT can be a very intensive profession, let's face it, humanity is not well suited to working at desks for hours on end, without something bad coming out of it long term. Being able to exercise and switch off is vital.

I have a lot of difficulty balancing work and life. Having two young children adds to the chaos, but they do serve as a reminder of what's really important.

I wish you health and happiness.

edited to remove wealth - when we're with RISC OS, we're not in it for the money. Are we? big smile

[Edited by sa_scott at 21:42, 14/11/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #121469, posted by adrianl at 14:41, 14/11/2012, in reply to message #121468
I'd go for health and happiness. Maybe some time within the next couple of months re Aemulor. I could release it now, tbh, but I'm still hoping to try to get the 'StrongARM'-engine running on the R-Pi because the ARM core in that chip isn't exactly fast by modern standards; not much faster than the IOP321 in the IYONIX pc, in fact, unlike the OMAP chips where the ARM610-engine is 'fast enough.' I hope you understand. You've probably tried Linux on it?

Edit: hopefully disambiguation

[Edited by adrianl at 14:42, 14/11/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #121471, posted by bhtooefr at 18:12, 14/11/2012, in reply to message #121466
Do whatever you need to take care of yourself, and kick depression's ass. smile

(Seriously, depression is a nasty one.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stephen Scott Message #121472, posted by sa_scott at 21:45, 14/11/2012, in reply to message #121471
Do whatever you need to take care of yourself, and kick depression's ass. smile

(Seriously, depression is a nasty one.)
Usually a game of Hamsters helps. Especially on the highest gore setting grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ross McGuinness Message #121473, posted by rmac at 00:50, 15/11/2012, in reply to message #121472
You have my sympathy and understanding. I've had several bouts and eventually took early retirement so I do understand how debilitating it can be.
Now my daily questions are:
Does it make any difference? (to do xxx)
Will it matter if it waits until tomorrow?

You may at times think the answer to the first question is Yes! (and in the case of your RISC OS software it definitely does) BUT the only life depending on it is yours. Make sure you give your life the priority it deserves smile

Aemulor can wait. We can all wait.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Patric Aristide Message #121481, posted by Tin Hat at 23:36, 15/11/2012, in reply to message #121473
Absolutely agree. Please don't feel under any pressure to release it if you don't feel so. I don't know if it would help to get others involved but you can easily get yourself in a sort of vicious circle when thinking that only you can do it and not wanting to "let others down".
Since you are a very talented person and as you say have a tendency to push yourself too hard at times, you probably feel you owe the RO community (whatever that is) your services. That's certainly not the case.
Not sure if you know about it but I was a bit surprised to learn CJE have announced they're accepting pre-orders on Aemulor for the Pi.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Patric Aristide Message #121482, posted by Tin Hat at 23:36, 15/11/2012, in reply to message #121473
gna

[Edited by Tin Hat at 23:37, 15/11/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121483, posted by trevj at 00:20, 16/11/2012, in reply to message #121466
recognise that it's a non-physical illness
It's actually a very physical illness
Oops - sorry... I'll get me coat.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Evans Message #121484, posted by CJE at 12:19, 16/11/2012, in reply to message #121481
CJE Micros chap
Not sure if you know about it but I was a bit surprised to learn CJE have announced they're accepting pre-orders on Aemulor for the Pi.
The last thing we want to do is put pressure on Adrian. We are not taking any money yet for Aemulor. It is more an expression of interest but that doesn't fit on a poster or a table of prices as well!
By registering an interest then hopefully people can wait patiently rather than feel they need to keep asking publicly the current status, which is probably not helpful.
Ross's insight is very useful and yes "Aemulor can wait. We can all wait."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #122529, posted by adrianl at 17:50, 10/8/2013, in reply to message #121016
I shall be taking some time off work soon, so may be able to spend a bit of time on Aemulor. You probably know that Aemulor Pi was eventually released at Wakefield. I'd already planned to take some time off, and then this happened :,(

Have just arrived back from camping with my brother and his two little girls. Should any of you feel moved to contribute, get in touch via email and I can send you bank details.

Best wishes, and I hope you're all well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Xavier Louis Tardy Message #122530, posted by Zarchos at 19:50, 10/8/2013, in reply to message #121466
Hi Adrian.
It's difficult to talk to sbdy you don't know, as there's this fear of appearing as more or less 'patronizing' (and well English is not my mother tongue).
Honestly I believe the less you'll be in front of a screen, the better you should feel.
Sport + sun + good food + new areas of interest is not a bad equation. Some books can bring a lot too, and well The Book too.
New faces to talk to is good too.
There are also more and more informative sites to help understand why the world is what it is, and why our lives are what they are, and as far as I'm concerned understanding who the enemies are helped me not reproaching to myself the consequences of their plans and actions for us and the world.

As I've got a relative (namely my Mum) who's been on Xanax for far too long, with all the issues popping up now we want her to stop, I do hope you're not on drugs and don't intend to be, if not yet.
Beware of the shrinks, as in the end they don't know at all how the brain works and the way they want you to take pills is everything but science.
On Youtube you'll find many videos showing the direct links between drugs manufacturers, so called 'researchers', resellers, shrinks etc ...
You've got a high I.Q. so don't let them, with their inferior, merchantile intelligence, trap you.
You certainly deserve better.
Take care.
Xavier.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

riscknight Message #122531, posted by riscknight at 22:15, 10/8/2013, in reply to message #122530
@Adrian Lees

My girlfriend's sister suffered from severe depression. One of my best friends Mother is a Psychiatrist and she treated her by combining "talk therapy" and medication.

Now - 2 years later - she is cured! I didn't know that women are more prone to depression than men. But, she is a human being just like you Adrian and she was cured!

*And You Will Be Cured As Well!*

Have faith, enjoy the things that make you happy and believe in God and yourself!

Be Well, Be Healthy And My Best Wishes For A Speedy Recovery!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #122532, posted by adrianl at 02:27, 11/8/2013, in reply to message #122530
My experience with medication is that it works, at best, for a few weeks before the brain compensates and the medication stops having any benefit. At that point one is left with just 'side-effects' 24/7, which have so far impaired my best coping strategy - exercise! So, no, I'm taking nothing beyond vitamins, essential fatty acids and the herbal 'remedy' St John's Wort.

Edit: New Scientist ran a front page article entitled 'Rethinking Depression' a couple of weeks ago. It's closely aligned with my experience and suggests that glutamate may be the key. The serotonin theory has been greatly oversold, especially by Pfizer who are responsible for Prozac (Fluoxetine)

[Edited by adrianl at 03:33, 11/8/2013]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #122533, posted by trevj at 10:48, 12/8/2013, in reply to message #122529
... then this happened :,( ...
Very sorry to learn the sad news about your sister-in-law. I think that your brother and nieces need you far more at the moment than the RISC OS community does! I hope you were all able to make the most of the camping, and trust that your brother will be able to move on when the time's right for him. All the best.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #122534, posted by Bucksboy at 10:54, 12/8/2013, in reply to message #122532
Dear Adrian
Just wanted to say a heartfelt 'thank you' for all the good work on Aemulor (I have an Iyonix myself) and please don't put yourself under any unnecessary pressure - we all get fixated by our devices but in the grand scheme of things well-being, mental and physical, is much more important!
With best wishes
George
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Evans Message #122535, posted by CJE at 12:17, 12/8/2013, in reply to message #122532
CJE Micros chap
Very sorry to hear of your families loss.
When you do take time off please consider Aemulor a LOW priority. Your long term health is far more important.
Good to see you having some hope for the future.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #122536, posted by adrianl at 18:25, 12/8/2013, in reply to message #122535
Thank you all. The loss of Ann hurts, and I hope you do not know how much it hurts to hold a 3 year old who is screaming for her Mummy, to feel so helpless. She has been told, but cannot really understand.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 3

The Icon Bar: General: Aemulor BeagleBoard